Monday 24 November 2014

LIFE: Cross Stitch Happenings

Cross Stitch

The times I pick up a needle and thread ebbs and falls as my moods do. I've realized if I'm stressed or worried, I don't tend to cross stitch, instead I opt for reading. I've yet to find the balance between the two hobbies, it's either cross stitching or reading and if you follow me on instagram, then you'll know I've been all for the sewing lately. 

About three years ago, on our way to Frankemuth there's a couple of great vintage shops along the way, in which I picked up an old vintage fabric covered sewing box, probably from the 1950's discolored from edge, and little worn around the edges. It's home to all my half started, never finished projects I've got on the go, sometimes when I'm feeling a little out of sorts between my cross stitching/reading moods I give it a poke and I fall head long into sewing again. 

I have a tendency to start new projects when I'm on the verge of finishing another, so I thought it was high time to get some finished, find some new ideas and designs and generally have a sort out especially because I've been aiming to sew some designs for Christmas cards.  

Cross Stitch Cross Stitch

Love Is In The Air is a free design you can find on Le Chalet des Perelles. I love the primitive feel this and actually a lot of the designs that feature on the blog has (I have a couple more projects from there lined up eventually), it's primitive, but super cute and colorful. I have to admit, this piece has been one of the most enjoyable designs I've stitched in a while, a mix of both the design and the colorful threads, it just got me super happy. 

GEDC0741

This was one of those stitched but never framed projects. Obviously the initial "R" is for those times I forget my name starts with an r. I know it's a vintage design from an old chart book, but I forgets where, oops. But it does mark as my first embroidery hoop addition to the wall now in the new house. 

GEDC0744

Belle and Boo designs take me back to my childhood, I can just imagine myself playing out in my hat and scarf with the leaves - well actually I'd be happy doing that still now. These designs come from a series from the Cross Stitcher magazine a couple of years ago with different designs for the seasons. It's on my to frame pile. Which knowing the speed I get things framed, they'll get done in a couple of years - yeah I need to improve that.  

Cross Stitch

And on the verge, so very close to being finished is my Sailors Delight. This design started my love for the primitive folky style in cross stitch that you often find in Americana based cross stitch work. It's kinda weird stitching designs that don't call for any backstitch and are actually quite simple in their stylization of words, buildings, etc. I guess the dark colours kind of made it hard for me to enjoyably pick up and stitch mind. 

So that's it for now, i'm saving the Christmasy designs for a feature post - ya know to be a festive blogger and all.

What have you been stitching or crafting lately?

16 comments:

  1. These are great! I really like the first one too - soo tempted to dig out my needles and thread now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your cute cross stitch finishes, Rachael... and the crocheted doily under the "R" design!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I haven't done any crocheting for a long while. I find it really hard to do project after project when it comes to crocheting for some reason.

      Delete
  3. These are really cute! I like the little letter R :) I've never been someone to do things like this, but I do enjoy the odd bit of sewing I do. I find the sewing to be quite relaxing actually. I think I'd find this relaxing too. I'm kind of tempted to give it a go, but I'm prone to going into sulks when I can't do something haha.

    Can't wait to see what Christmasy designs you put together, Ms festive blogger :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it relaxing in the way i've been doing it for years it's second nature but it's also relaxing in that while you have to focus on your stitches you can also do it while watching the TV and not loose track of what's going on in either.

      You should try it :P

      Delete
  4. I love these designs - I like the one with the child and the rabbit best.

    Lizzie's Daily Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeap, the Belle and Boo designs are really fun - I have a couple more of their projects lined up for whenever I get through all the others I want to stitch.

      Delete
  5. I've been doing a boozy cross stitch for a friends secret santa - its set to read 'pass me the vodka, or the wine, I'm not fussy!'. I love a good sarcastic stitch! The little girl and bunny in the leaves is beautiful! keep stitching my lovely x
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit, the whole sarcastic stitching passes me by a little. They amuse me, but i'm more a fan of the traditional stitching patterns. Sounds like a fun gift though!

      Delete
  6. oooh they're all so pretty! I have been knitting a lot lately, but I have a hard time finishing one project before getting a new idea and starting something else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bad habit isn't it, I get too easily distracted with crafts it's unreal! I need to be more restrained and self disciplined.

      Delete
  7. Great designs and good luck with future projects! I really know what you mean about starting new projects before finishing the one you are currently working on. I love seeing your projects on Instagram. Belle and Boo is probably my favourite!
    Andreea | http://catsfika.blogspot.ro/
    Check Out My New Food Blog Flavour Chic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I love having instagram - it's a great marker for being able to see how my works progressing that's for sure. Belle and Boo designs are so cute, there's so many of them too I need to do some more!

      Delete
  8. I've really been enjoying the photos you've been posting on Instagram of your cross stitching. It's something I haven't done for years. I have a lot of embroidery thread I used to make bracelets with. Might be an idea to break it out and do something a little different. I particularly like the one of the little girl and the rabbit. :)

    Sara Bloo xo
    bloonstuff.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I remember making lots of bracelets out of the old embroidery thread, that was fun growing up! I've only really got back into stitching in the last couple of years, I went years without doing any in my teens/university years so I have a lot to catch up on!

      Delete
  9. you make the prettiest cross stitch projects!

    ReplyDelete