Tuesday 26 August 2014

BLOGGING: The Writing Process

Bag

Today I'm sharing my unworldly experience when it comes to blogging. After being tagged Kelly who's blog Adventures in Tea and Cake always makes me hungry! I was actually surprised how much these questions got me thinking. As a hobby blogger I don't necessarily really think about my blogging, writing process call it what you will, so it was interesting to take a step back and think through it all. 

What are you working on?
There's always posts in the working on phase and I constantly feel the struggle to try and find my voice, have my personality spilling out the computer screen. But for whatever reason it's so hard for me not to write formally - at least that's how it comes over when I reread my words. Some see the light of day long before others. I have a couple of posts from our short trip to Bay City lined up - historical homes to former train stations. Digging up old photographs for more snapshots, more expat themed posts and room tours. There's even some old Detroit and Pittsburgh posts that have been sleeping in my draft folder that need finishing. They'll get done eventually

How does my work differ from others in the genre?  
Aside from sitting under the lifestyle blog umbrella I don't think my blog necessarily just fits one genre. I'm not a typical expat blogger (I don't get the chance to jet set around the country/world like many in that "niche") but since joining in the expat revelations link up I do like the challenge both myself and the conceptions that expat life is all merry and happy.  

While I might not be a stand out blogger on anyone's reading list, but I do hope to show Michigan and particularly Detroit in a new light. Michigan is never a stand out place on anyone's must visit list when it comes to the US and Detroit is always seen in the wrong light so I love trying to challenge those perceptions. 

I guess I like having my fingers in lots of different pies when it comes to topics and the longer I blog (five years plus now) the more I throw caution to the wind and just share what I want regardless of the stats.

Greetings

Why do I write about what I do?
In short because it's me.

My blog has always reflected my life - the adventures, the everyday, the good and the bad. Life happens first, the blogging comes afterwards. Topics, themes they've always shadowed what's surrounding me - whether it was being in a long distance relationship, getting a visa to being that Yorkshire lass in the US. 

But it's more than that, blogging is just one of my hobbies, the hobbies fit and feed content be it tackling the garden, DIY, collecting vintage compacts or listening to records. I always want to keep this space real, personal and me, and the only way I know how to do that is to share my everyday life and adventures. For me, that's my freedom when it comes to writing. 

How does my writing process work?
In short - things happen first, blog post comes after. I tend to work off and around the photographs as I find them the best way to stimulate the words. For tags, questions or posts about a particular place I often work out of my notebook before I can even think about typing. Jotting down words, emotions, things I need to fit in for me I find that more productive than staring at a screen and hoping the words come to my fingers. 

Like I said before, sometimes a post will get worked out and published within a day, sometimes they sit in draft form for months. I don't like to rush my posts out just because something happened there and then. Sometimes they need curing, they need going over to get the feel just right. Sometimes I have the pictures and not the words to express the emotions behind them. 

As I'm not one big on organisation that's as far as my process as such goes. Blogging fits in around everything else - a spare 30 minutes here, and hour or two on a Sunday as and when. For me, that seems to work best, those are the ways that keep me energized to keep blogging rather than forcing myself.

*               *               *

It seems like everyone has more than likely been linked into this hop by now - but if not, consider yourself tagged. Either way i'd love to know how you get around to writing up those blog posts, while you're at it, i'd love to hear what you love, or even hate (play nice) about this blog of mine!

28 comments:

  1. I love these posts, they are so interesting. I am glad to see I am not the only one who struggles to find their writing voice. Sometimes I find it so difficult to get my personality across in my writing without coming accross as what I feel is a little bit fake, if that makes sense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That totally makes sense and it how I feel about it too it's hard for me to find the balance of being "nice" but not cheesy and patronising to my readers. Also being naturally rather sarky, I tone that down a lot from my writing here, I'm never really too sure how sarkiness or even sometimes humour can come across through a screen. It's a work in progress!

      Delete
  2. I feel like it takes a little trial and error to discover exactly what kind of blogger you want to be. Certain posts come up as being easier/more enjoyable to write than others, and it's then that you know you've found your niche. I started out trying to label myself as a beauty blogger - HAHA - and now look, do you even see any beauty posts on my blog? Nope. I started to find it unenjoyable so I switched gears and now I love to blog!

    I feel like blogs change as those who write them change. We grow, we change, and so do our blogs. I've loved reading yours and am so glad to have discovered this little space of yours! And the fact that I'm actually from Michigan and can relate to loads of your posts? Just an added bonus :)
    ~ Samantha
    samsamcherie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get what you mean! There's some old beauty posts hidden about deep in the very early stages of this blog I will be honest, although it was more around nail varnishes which is one of the few things I can say interests me when it comes to beauty. Other than that not a clue.

      It actually use to be a lot more vintage in the first year or so, and while I love vintage things, it's not necessarily the easiest thing for me to blog about and share and felt I was spreading myself too thin and trying to do too much.

      It's great to hear that you enjoy as a Michigander reading my blog, I can't say i've come across too much Michigan blog or bloggers so it's always nice knowing there's people out there that have a general idea of the places you're talking about!

      Delete
  3. Writing in a notebook often helps me start posts too - much easier than starting with a blank computer screen! I really admire your blog for showcasing Michigan and Detroit and challenging perceptions of it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I like the challenge of it I will be honest!

      Delete
  4. Hey Rachel, I've been loving your blog and I decided to feature it on mine. Come check it out: http://letmecrossover.blogspot.com/2014/08/blogs-im-loving.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the mention! Much appreciated :)

      Delete
  5. Michigan Exposures is actually my second attempt at a blog. My first attempt at a blog was a political commentary thing but when I discovered that there were a million of them out there and politics was getting nastier, I lost interest. Then I got my first D-SLR and started to remember a love of photography, so I started Michigan Exposures. I was trying to highlight the different places in Michigan (and elsewhere) that I visit. Lately, it's been mostly trains but I found a pretty cool trainwatching spot in Ohio. When I take pictures, I try to find some of the history behind what I am taking pictures of. For instance, when I'm posting about a ship I've never seen before, I try to find out about her history. Sometimes it is easy...sometimes it is not.

    On a side note, I hope you enjoyed your tour of my birth town...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy the research and the history side too and with everything being so different from the UK I always love learning about the towns, the history and the people behind it all.

      And yes I did have a lovely time in Bay City - got to have a great wander around downtown and out around Center Avenue and 6th St and had a lovely walk out in a nature reverse (name of which is currently escaping me). Could spend a while there, so many places I'd love to get around eating at and seeing.

      Delete
    2. Was the Nature Reserve near the bay or elsewhere? If near the bay, I think that would be Tobico Marsh.

      Delete
    3. It was the Quanicassee Wildlife Area I believe. Caught a great sunset there.

      Delete
  6. I do think your blog is extremely good - better than you are giving it credit for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - i'm not the best at giving myself or my blog much credit I will be honest!

      Delete
  7. It's always interesting to hear about the writing process! I'm not even sure what mine is. I go through periods of wanting to post 3 things a day a then I stop for a month. It's pretty bad.

    Erin // beingerin.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had months like that before, especially a couple of years ago. I always find writing in bulk and scheduling 3 or 4 posts across the work week helps me be more regular with posting.

      Delete
  8. I'd be so lost without a notebook, and I like to work around photographs as well! I like to make sure I have a good photo (or photos) before I get to writing since I really do like having at least one photo in each post. I usually just hear about crimes whenever it comes to Detroit so it's nice to read about the fun stuff!

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always so hard I find especially when writing say personal posts, when you don't nessearily have that photograph that goes with the feeling or has the vibe you want. Although saying that I do love a good trawl through all my photograph folders on the computer.

      Delete
  9. I like tags that mean I can be nosey into other peoples lives :) I think I will line my own version up for next week, don't worry I'll credit you as my source of inspiration ;)

    I think my voice is getting better, but I can't help but think in my head "don't write how you talk, that's not good writing"... I'm pretty sure my sarcasm gets lost and I just come across as arrogant and egotistical. Oops. It's hard to make a voice in writing sometimes. Every now an then I throw in an exclamation mark in the hopes it will make it better! It definitely takes some practice.

    I don't think there is't anything I dislike about your little space. I love that it's just you, and that's what you get here. Those are the blogs that I like to read all the time. Definite fav for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being nosey is fun hobby and I look forward to having a nosey at your process! Oh and you better credit, I mean that's in the rules right?!

      I get what you mean about the exclamation mark, although I think I use them far too often, so I have to work myself off of them or every sentence would probably end with one!

      Yeah that one was on purpose!

      I do like being me (sometimes) it's the only person I can write about being that's for sure! Hahaha.

      I also need to limit the times I say hahaha ...

      OMG there's !'s everywhere now ...

      Delete
    2. Attack of the exclamation marks!!!

      Delete
  10. Your blog never comes across too formal at all - it's lovely to read! Props to you for blogging for 5 years too! Having many drafts on the go seems to be everybody's top tip/secret, and I only wish I could be so organised. I think the 'blogging fitting around everything else' is the best way to be. It'd be far too stressful and knock the fun out of it should it become a task to complete in certain hours.
    lily x
    www.jolihouse.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to hear that I don't sound too formal, i'm always worrying that because my personality isn't shinning through or because I ramble on too much about things that it's not a super easy going style of writing that I have going on. I always think the way I talk in comments is far much more me then how I end up writing the posts themselves, it's weird how we pull apart out own words and styles isn't it?!

      To be honest, a lot of the posts in my draft folders are just titles, or a couple of words or a url link. I just know if I don't write them down, i'll forget them. But they certainly do help when you have those days/weeks/months when you just can't think up anything to share!

      Delete
  11. I adore expat bloggers for the sheer variety - and I wouldn't have it any other way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it! I love seeing where everyone remakes their home to be, always great to see everyone's experiences of the world.

      Delete
  12. You know I love your blog :) even if I've been useless lately at keeping up to date and commenting! Haha. I never find it too formal. You have a lovely writing style and I also find your posts about places you've insisted interesting because you actually take time to give information or history about the place. I like that! Feels like I'm learning (in a good way)
    So many of my posts live in drafts for ages that by the time I come to thinking about posting them I doubt if they are even relevant any more! It's probably just my own fault for giving myself a schedule to post but having more ideas than I actually need!
    Debi x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I have times when i'm treading water when it comes to keeping up with blogs so I understand! Since I was little i've always loved writing about places - for school or just in little holiday journals, so even twenty years on i'm still doing it, that makes me happy! Although back in the day without wiki I don't know how I did it all haha.

      I've had a couple of posts die a death because i've never got around to posting them, or the post has changed or something. I guess it's one of the hazards of the hobby lol

      Delete
  13. I love reading your blog and finding out what another Yorkshire-lass is doing in the US! They're not formal at all either! Detroit was on my radar but kind of close to the bottom of the list but your posts have moved it up that list for sure!

    I have so many posts waiting to be written up - now I'm working more my blog has kind of taken a back seat and gone down the priority list. I have to grab a quick 30 minutes here and there like you - I wish I could spend so much more time on it but paid jobs obviously take priority! I don't have a schedule as such - I like to try and post twice a week but sometimes that just isn't possible. Blogging should be fun - not trying to keep to a schedule and stressing yourself out about it!

    ReplyDelete