Sunday 29 June 2014

GREEN FINGERS: On How to Grow a Lemon Plant From a Lemon Seed

Lemon

When life gives you lemons, grow a lemon plant from it. 

That's what i've often done and you don't even need a garden.

Sometimes they take up to five years to produce fruit, if they do at all, but it's fun all the same. My attempts back in the UK never gave me any fruit but they sit happily in the hallway catching the sun. Hopefully, choosing to go organic (organic lemons are considered the best to source a seed from) may prove fruitful (pun certainly intended) plus the Michigan summer heat (over any Yorkshire "heat)" might be the magic they need. 

If not I'll have yet another lemon bush or two, all the same.

To get started take our seeds from your average lemon, dry them thoroughly on some paper towel. Plant them in some healthy looking compost and water just a little (not too much or they'll go rotten). Cover you pot in some plastic wrap/cling film, poke some small holes in it and keep it in a warm place. It takes upwards of 3 to 4 weeks to spot any seedy forms of life, once you see life, take off the plastic wrap and keep it in a very well lit place.

Lemon Lemon

Debate rules over how often you should water them, I go for misting them every 2/3 days, they seem to be happy with that.

Sadly only two of my four seeds sprouted, which growing from my experience of attempting this as a child, it pretty good odds. It's slow progress but they appear to be on the right track. Once they hit the two month milestone - which mine are about reaching, get them repotted into their own decently sized pot and give them plenty of sun.

Bigger news is that I haven't killed either of them yet. Being a serial cacti killer, this is marvelous progress. 

Have you ever tried growing a fruit from seed?

18 comments:

  1. Such a neat idea! I was looking for some kind of vegetation to grow in my dorm room in the fall that I can baby mama and eventually take with me when I graduate, and something like this is pure inspiration! Not the hugest lemon fan but maybe I'll try another fruit...mangoes maybe?

    Then again lord knows those won't grow in Michigan or Minnesota...I'll do some thinking! Thanks for posting!
    ~ Samantha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried oranges before but they didn't have much success, may an apple tree? Mind you that'd grow huge eventually lol. I've heard of people growing mangoes from the seed through although they seem a bit of a pain to actually get to the seed though but it's something i've been meaning to try.

      Delete
  2. When I was little I'd take all the seeds from my fruit (apples, watermelons, oranges, even peaches) and plant them outside my house hoping a big tree would grow, lol. Your pretty pictures make me want to give planting a fruit seed another try... the little girl in me would be so happy if even just a little leaf popped up! ;)

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd pretty much written off mine as dead three weeks in because after rereading websites they were all saying they should be sprouting within two weeks, but I guess mine are a little on the slow side. Great feeling when you finally see them popping through - worth the effort and the hoping at least!

      Delete
  3. This is fantastic! We have a lemon tree in the backyard and it is so useful. I regularly need a spritz of lemon in a dish and it's so convenient to just run outside and grab a fruit off the tree!

    Cat
    http://oddlylovely.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that would be so handy to have - hopefully one of these two might be fruitful enough to give me some lemons in a couple of years!

      Delete
  4. I am totally going to try this! I grew zucchini and cilantro from seeds this year-- tried basil but it didn't work out, so I think I'll just get a plant and go from there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah some herbs can be so hit and miss growing. I remember my parents growing some zucchini a couple of years ago, plants produced so many more than we could ever eat haha!

      Delete
  5. Go little lemon, go!
    I've never tried, except growing apples from the seeds in my belly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I always remember that fear of an apple tree growing inside of you when I was little - that branches would come out of my ears lol

      Delete
  6. I am very impressed with your container gardening skills! I can't even get basil to grow from seeds, and supposedly that's easy. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Herbs seem to be very hit and miss. Saying that i've killed a number of cacti in my time and I always thought they could never been killed lol

      Delete
  7. Go oooooon lemon tree! I wish I had big enough windowsills for plants or a spot in my living room that got lots of sunshine but I don't :( I love having plants and flowers in the house. Hope your little lemons make it!
    Debi x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Technically we're not meant to have anything on our windowsills because we have silly apartment managers but I have my plants there all the same lol

      I hope they make it too, one's been looking a little funky the last week or so, I think it needs some TLC.

      Delete
  8. Oooh I've been wanting to try this so bad! A few years ago my mom was cutting open a grapefruit and found a sprout inside and gave it to me to grow, and it's about two years old now! Crazy! I don't like grapefruit though so I'd love to try growing a lemon tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I think my mam tried with grapefruit once but didn't have much luck, mind you it was in England and the heat isn't all that great over there. Drying out a peach seed so try next!

      Delete
  9. I have never tried this but often thought about it. I would really like to grow a lemon plant or an orange one. I am going to try it out and see what happens. You had great luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is it wrong to find the little shoots cute?? I do anyway! I want to give it a go in our new sunny kitchen...wonder if the Devon sun is better than the Yorkshire sun?
    M x Life Outside London

    ReplyDelete