Monday 19 May 2014

LIFE: Weekend Visitors

GEDC0176 Market Detroit Boat Ren Cen

A hectic weekend of plates of over sized pancakes, Pizza Papalis style deep dish pizzas to long walks around parts of Detroit just flew by. With close family visiting from Pennsylvania, we didn't hide the family away in the suburbs (like many would) but ventured into Detroit to show them what the city has to offer. 

A long walk around the hugely busy and vibrant Eastern Market on Saturday morning burned off those calories from a plate of pancakes from the Original Pancake House - while it may have taken me over two years to find a free day to get to the market it's certainly somewhere we'll head to more often - live music, hundreds of stalls from food sellers, Detroit souvenirs to plant growers it has an incredible atmosphere and once we finally get our hands on a garden, it'll probably be filled with plants from there. Then a drive to the riverfront to show the kids Canada from over the river and the GM headquarters made us hungry for pizza. It may take over 30 minutes for your pizza to arrive (because of how they cook it), but man is the wait worth it.

How was your weekend?
signatureblog

15 comments:

  1. Wicked photos, that eastern market looks amazing! Love the street art. And good pizza makes any weekend complete :)

    thepersephonecomplex.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Detroit and this area of the city has some great street art, hopefully the next time we head back to the market we won't have people in tow so I can grab some better photographs.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a lovely weekend to me! I spent a lot of mine at the dentist, wah, but also at the allotment, with the OH and catching up with friends, so it wasn't all bad. And oh, the sun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urgh a dentists visit doesn't sound fun at all, I hope the weather made up for it at least!

      Delete
  3. That sounds like an awesome weekend and now I've got a craving for some pancakes. I haven't had any in way too long! Haha. The market sounds pretty cool.
    Debi x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those pancakes are hard to beat, they were massive and well worth the wait to get a table!

      Delete
  4. Those restaurants sound amazing! I'm hopefully heading back to Michigan in the fall for a visit, and I am super excited now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pizza Papalis is always worth a visit despite the wait!

      Delete
  5. Love your pictures! The one of ford field with GM in the back is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you want to take a bit of a walk to get to the Eastern Market, I recommend parking at Milliken State Park and taking the Dequindre Cut over there. The cut ends with a couple blocks to get to the Eastern Market. Lots of really cool graffiti along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos! Looks like you had a fun weekend. Pizza... yum! I could go for a slice! My weekend was pretty relaxed, I didn't do much. But that's just how I like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great weekend. Huge pancakes? Farmer's market? Pizza? I want some too! My weekend was spent at home, except for one night when I went to the theatre.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your photos! With you talking about Detroit and Stephanie talking about Detroit, I want to see and experience it for myself now! The Eastern Market and deep dish pizzas are right up my alley! -Jess L

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm pancakes! Ahh the family visit. I don't have mine until June, well I'm going home but it's the same. I'm trying to plan a two day trip down the coast, but you know what it's like trying to please people. Someone will be moaning at some point.

    I've yet to come across a huge market here, we have a small one in town on Friday morning but that's all. A mini flew market on the Saturday morning that I struggle to get up early enough for haha.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looking through your pictures suddenly reminded me of when I visited Detroit about 20 years ago, amazing how some places are still so recognisable!

    ReplyDelete