Monday 28 May 2012

Random photograph post #2

Australia

Loosing the internet through me slightly off course with the blog for a day so I've felt like I've been playing catch up since Thursday. Nevertheless when I haven't been freaking out about my residency interview on Wednesday this is what I've been doing.

Re-homing our pet cacti into an old cup after it outgrew it's original container. After seeing this DIY use of a mason jar I did want to recycle one of our jam jars [even though I'm eagerly saving them for making some jam]. Nonetheless all the jars we had were a little too small and after been jabbed, stabbed and pricked countless times trying to get the said cacti in I reverted to using a cup instead, layering the bottom with stones for drainage, then filling up with soil and topping off with more stones for a little bit of decoration. Turned out well don't you think?!

For the first time in recent history I've gained a tan on my legs - temperatures haven't really dropped below 24 degrees [at least during the day] and we're normally reaching into the mid 30s daily. As a Yorkshire lass I'm slowly getting use to the weather just by making myself be in it more - I'm just glad there's always shade under our apartment windows!

Baking for me can be really hit and miss but these brown sugar cupcakes have been an extremely big hit with those that have tried them. Although it's hard to just get away with eating and walking away after one. Lastly I won a giveaway over at The Sasse Life for a canvas of my choice by Carolyn McNee Photography. All the photography is gorgeous and it was hard to pick one image to get made up but I opted for Ayres Rock - while we've never been to Australia ourselves it's one of our dream vacations and it's were my grandad back in the day [but my gran didn't want to so they stayed in the UK]. One of the reasons why I'd love to visit Oz is for him and while he died when I was a few months old I love looking at that canvas and thinking of him.

What's been rocking your world lately?

20 comments:

  1. I like those check shoes, so cute! and the cupcake looks so yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those shoes are a nightmare at time and can really rub my ankles off! When they are feeling like it they are so comfy! Those cupcakes were a dream to eat - so so tasty!

      Delete
  2. That cactus is so sweet! Well done on winning the giveaway, it's a stunning prize and I love that you've inherited your Granddad's wanderlust. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think that wanderlust seemed to skip a generation getting to me!

      Delete
  3. I love these photos :) The cactus is so cute :) Congrats on the comp :)

    Charlee
    http://charmedcharlee.blogspot.co.uk/
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cacti is settling in well to it's new cup! Was a nightmare to replant with it's spikes!

      Delete
  4. Love that cactus! It was 29C in Market Weighton today!!!!!!
    rain coming tomorrow apparently:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck on your interview! I know you'll rock it, Rachael! I've just been chilling a lot lately. Nothing special. Got a couple of recipes I'll be posting up on the blog soon, too!

    ♥ laura
    the blog of worldly delights
    the shop of worldly delights

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved your first recipe today - can't wait to see some more.

      Delete
  6. Castus is adorable! Clever idea =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love cacti although I have a bad track record with trying to keep them alive!

      Delete
  7. The cactus looks so cute in the cup. I am sure transferring it was a wee bit prickly. Yay for warmer weather. I love your choice for the canvas - it is such a pretty photo and it is awesome that it can make you think of your grandad :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very prickly, although not as bad as one I've transferred once before - had the tiny tiny spikes which dug in your fingers and itched like crazy. Was awful!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you - they were just a supermarket find!

      Delete
  9. The cactus is so cute and I love the plaid shoes! Good luck with the interview.

    Sunny Days and Starry Nights

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cacti sits on the only window still the kitties don't sit on in case they knock it off. Would love to get a load more someday too.

      Delete
  10. oh, love all these little snapshots!!!!!
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete