Thursday 1 March 2012

Rex Leaping Gazelle Powder Compact


After getting a little disheartened with collecting compacts I thought I'd try and throw myself back into writing about my hobby - so far its working and I'm feeling much more engaged and happier. I thought i'd take the time to say that I get attracted to powder compacts that are different, I love colour and odd sizes just like this over-sized compact. Because of this it made its way onto my Christmas Ebay wish list - it's red, made of leather and has a gazelle leaping in flowers as decoration. Gazelles may seem an odd animal to be upon beauty accessories but as a motif they became popular during the Art Deco period if only for a short time - a trend that continued well into the 1950s. Some suggest it was the result of the popularity of the film Bambi, whatever the reason it can be found across a range of manufacturers including this one by the New York house Rex.

Made of red leather this compact measures four and a half inches in diameter, classifying it as a flapjack [anything over four inches fits this category] dating around the 1940s/50s. I sometimes wonder if such a size limited it's ability to be carried in purses and is far from being as practical as it's smaller counterparts and was probably just used at a ladies dresser. The puff and sift that came with this compact aren't original as the puff would have had Rex fifth avenue banded across it's ribbon. 

With particular regards to leather compacts, manufacturers produced them in a range of colours - sometimes matching the purses the compacts came with additional accessories a lady could purchase from the same line. In fact there is a green version of the this compact on Ebay - whether someone would pay $95 for this is another matter. Yes vintage compacts can go for some very crazy prices.


* And yes that really is a Christmas tree in the background of these photographs, I'm suffering from a huge compact post backlog so be prepared for a compact overload in the coming weeks.

23 comments:

  1. It's absolutely gorgeous! I've never come across a leather one before, I'd love to find one. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah leather ones don't tend to be that easy to find - not really sure why but I figure it might have something to do with manufacturing prices been too pricing in comparison to metal and plastic. But that's a layman's guess.

      Delete
  2. It is lovely - very unusual.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  3. dont know if you've read my numerous comments but i became a fan of powder compacts and learnt so many things about them via your blog, so thank you for that, this one seems to be large and kind of impractical but beautiful nevertheless.
    http://lureofthedarkside.blogspot.com/
    hope you'll find some time to check out my blog as well
    and if you like it don't hesitate to follow back

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely, tooled leather is so subtle. I DON'T see much resemblance to Bambi...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is ridiculously gorgeous. Makes me wonder about the woman who originally owned it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I always wonder this too and how they ended up getting to where ever I brought them.

      Delete
  6. The compact is beautiful! Thank you so much for telling us more about it :] I think it is funny that they call the larger compacts flapjacks. This post makes me want to start collecting them. I hope I come across one in my thrifting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some call them pancakes, it can very full of terms just comes down to size. They can be pretty easy to come across if you know where to look - good just to keep your eyes open.

      Delete
  7. This is amazing, the detailing on the lid is beautiful. Not sure about the Bambi likeness but sure (': x

    ReplyDelete
  8. That compact is seriously beautiful. I have never seen a leather one before. Where do you usually shop for vintage compacts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a baragin I look and use Ebay [although your betting against faceless others] you can predominantly get a a good bargain. Saying that I love the thrill of going around vintage expos or antique malls as they call them in the states which is basically one shop with lots of sellers within it who sell things out of cases etc. You tend to pay over priced prices at expos but you do get the chance to properly check out, hold and possibly barter for a compact. So its circles and roundabouts really.

      Delete
  9. That is a gorgeous compact! I would buy it for the case alone.

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the detailing is lovely, so delicate. Because of it's size its heavy so it's a nightmare to get it standing up just so on a stand so sadly it had to be laid down most of the time.

      Delete
  10. So pretty and what a great hobby! Very unique :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd be surprised at how many people collect them!

      Delete
  11. I liked looking at all the classic compact cases they are so unique and pretty. You have a lovely blog. :) and cant wait so see the new ones you find.

    Please check out mines if you have time

    http://lovemakeupfashionlife.blogspot.com/

    take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. SO pretty! What a great thing to collect they don't take up too much space. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is such a stunning compact, I'm quite a novice when it comes to compacts, but I really do admire their beauty and am forever in awe of your collection xxx

    ReplyDelete