Tuesday 30 March 2010

Cecil Beaton


I've always had a bit of an eye and an interest in the work of the photographer - I would say celebrity photographer but that would get mixed up in the connotations of the contemporary paparazzi media lead photographer capturing anything and everything that could never really be considered art. I have a total adoration for the work of David Bailey and while i'd heard of the name "Cecil Beaton" in passing, it hasn't been until reading the novel "Silk" by Penny Jordan in which he makes many an appearance, that I even took to sticking his name in Google. And my - I wish i'd done so before!

Capturing glamour, style and the celebrity, Cecil Beaton (1904-1980) is considered one of Britain's most influential and celebrated photographers even in turn influencing the work of artists like David Bailey. Across the five decades of his work from the 1920s onwards, he captured the faces, the fashions and the places of the then modern world - from Marilyn Monroe to the wedding photographs of Duke and Duchess of Windsor and even as an official WW2 war photographer.

And here is just such a small sample of his amazing, amazing work;

Marilyn Monroe
Capturing for Vogue the model Vionnet [1937]
Audrey
The Queen photographed in 1968 in her White Drawing Room - Buckingham Palace.
Marlene Dietrich 1935


Originalpicture lost to cyberspace


Vogue shoot for Charles James Dresses 1948
Lillian Gish 1930's


His work seems to offer something stylish yet imitate. Now I just need to hunt out books and copies of his work because they are utterly gorgeous more so the black and white ones!

Lovely!

I want to say a massive heartfelt thank you for all you that left me messages on my last post - it means a lot. I'm getting there slowly - thank you all once again!

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for this beautiful post!
    I'm a huge fan of the work of both Cecil Beaton and Norman Parkinson, both really captured the essence of the period and made their female subjects look both elegant and sensual (even her Maj!).
    Glad you're on the mend. I survived a very low period some years ago and can feel for what're going through.
    Much love,
    Vix
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these pics! I've used a few myself throughout my blog. Be sure to get over and check out my fabulous giveaway before it ends on Friday! Kori xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great read and the pictures are beautiful.

    the picture of audrey really captured my eyes.


    Will now follow your blog. Follow mine too? :)

    http://readmylifeascarrie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely glorious photos. I love this kind of photography - vintage Hollywood glamour captured in black and white. Just beautiful.

    Glad to hear you're feeling better. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. great photos! i loved the one with the queen. :D

    follow my blog too? :)
    http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete